Saturday, October 4, 2008

State of the Union: All is Well

Actually, our country is pretty screwed up. However, I've got Jenny and we've got Christ, and sometimes that bright side shines extra bright. I don't pretend to think anyone cares about how I spend my days, but if I blog about a great day, it gives me a chance to dwell on it for awhile. Purely selfish.
The sky was overcast and the breeze was cold, so we enjoyed the weather for the first time in months. Jenny has her supermodel face on, but it's really because she was sick and couldn't breathe through her nose.

I look very serious because the patio was full and we had to eat inside. Also, Jenny told me to freeze while she took out the camera and snapped a picture. I should have looked much happier, because I had the best shrimp burrito I've ever had.

After walking around downtown for a couple hours, we headed to the Open Air Theatre to see Iron and Wine and Swell Season. We got there really early, so we sat on a bench and listened to Sam Beam do soundcheck. It was a pretty amazing soundcheck though, because he played about eight full songs, and they were all different than the ones he played during his actual set. We had this tourist picture taken when Thomas and Maria met up with us. Double dates rule when they're with cool couples like Thomas and Maria.

The show was pretty great, as was the crowd. Thanks you's were exchanged at the concessions booths, conversations were quiet and clean, people sipped wine and beer without getting wasted, and there wasn't a whole lot of posturing. The only boo's were highly justified when some impatient yokel yelled, "Play the song!" as the Irish frontman (Glen Hansard) of the Swell Season told one of his great, long stories as an introduction to the next tune. Everybody booed the guy very loudly for not appreciating a well told story, then Glen launched into a new story about a stray dog that he remembered from his childhood. He finished the story by looking towards the guy who shouted and admitting, "That doesn't have anything to do with the song, I just wanted to piss you off." The music was tops, but I liked the stories just as much. A world where people are booed for not appreciating a good narrative is a world I like, and I was feeling pretty optimistic as my girl and I travelled up the 15 North.

6 comments:

jeremy phillips said...

That was a very pleasant last paragraph.

Val. said...

:) that's how gigs are supposed to be enjoyed.

Anonymous said...

Reading this does my heart good.

I love you both very much!
Mom

Brian Baker said...

I cannot believe what a wonderful brother and sister I have. You both present a striking image of what marriage is intended to be.

I love the photos. Where on earth did you get that track shirt? You better be guarding your closet.

erin* said...

Concerts like that are always good for the soul

Justin Blomgren said...

You live a great life