Wednesday, October 22, 2008


For four hours I attempted to memorize terms and processes associated with research and statistics for one of my comprehensive exams on Saturday. Whatever. When Jenny finally arrived home from church I put that junk away and we sat on the porch. In my palm I held a smoothly carved piece of meerschaum given to me by a dear friend while my wife read a passage from Habakkuk; that's what they studied tonight. We talked about our role in the world, the hourly struggles, life and death. It's these times I know who I am and wonder why I spend so much of my life acting as my own distractor.

4 comments:

jeremy phillips said...

It sounds pleasant.

However, I still need to find someone to do this with.

David James said...

Thanks for the slap in the face, Jeremy. I'M RIGHT HERE.

Anyways, if you and Jenny are able to get that house close to mine, you guys should come over as much as you want to and sit on my porch swing with me. Or I could come over there (if you guys can put up with me, that is).

I really liked your post.

Adrian Martinez said...

i miss you too mike. been wishing i can see you. i think my new work schedule may lend itself to that. what time do you get done with work?

Val. said...

i like this.