Monday, September 8, 2008

Way Up There


I helped my brother build this bike a couple months ago. If I were about four inches taller, I'd have said, "Sorry 'bout your birthday present" and ridden this steed all the way to Maine. By now I'd be there, shucking oysters in a flannel shirt, awash in the hues of fall. In the evenings I'd don the neck muffler my loving wife knit with her delicate hands, button up a tweed coat, eat clam chowder and watch the sailboats drift in. I'd procure a block of briar and follow the grain with my knife while I puffed Peterson Sunset Breeze in a front porch rocking chair. Evening prayers would be completed to the crackling of a fire and Dostoyevsky would send me off to bed. If only I were four inches taller.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I've got a 24" wheel set that you could borrow.

Michael Baker said...

With training wheels and everything?!

la gloria, la gloria, la gloria said...

From what I hear, brohan hasn't polished his flanks on that saddle in a while anyway.
Make sure you stop in the AZ on your way to the East coast...

Adrian Martinez said...

i wish i knew as much about bikes as you do.

jenny baker said...

we already have an extra wheel set sitting in our laundry room. i've stubbed enough toes already, no more wheel sets please... not until i've healed at least. :)

la gloria, la gloria, la gloria said...

Atala the Hun, I owe you an apology from what I hear. I was ill-informed.

Anonymous said...

No hard feelings Glory Man. Truth of the matter is that Old Yellow should be ridden everyday. Right now I only take him out about three times a week. These are tough times that we are living in right now, and he seems to understand that.

Thomas Ham said...

Extra wheel sets you say? I know someone that's looking for one of those!

Love,
The Wheel-less wonder from Vancouver!

Zack!!! said...

thomas, do you still have that bike i gave you out of the bike rack at cbu? if so and if you're not using it. i want to fix it up. let me know.