Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Why Summer School Rules Should Apply Year Round/ I Swear I Don't Use My Powers For Evil


“Summer school’s a privilege,” I said, “If you miss 6 or more hours before the three weeks are up, you get dropped with an F. If you’re late in the morning or after a break, I automatically deduct 15 minutes. Even if you’re 2 minutes late. Understand? Good.”
After a couple days, smart boy gets smart. He tells 3 friends, “We should just be 14 minutes late every break. If he’s gonna take 15 off we might as well use it.” They agreed that was a very good idea.
They walked into class 14 minutes after class had resumed. “Why are you so late?” I asked.
“Just wanted to use all our time.”
“Well I guess you should have stayed out longer, because you just lost 45 minutes.”
“How’s that work?”
“You try to work the system, I make sure the system works you.”

3 comments:

sherry said...

Ha ha ha! Summer school is different. The kids are different and the rules are different. I like the freedom of making that shit up in the summer. Although, I am thankful that, this summer, I can just make up rules for how to spend my days and I don't have to worry about forcing them on others!

I'm subbing on Friday. I've come full circle. I think I just agreed to do it so I can peek across the hall and see if my classroom is finished :)

Val. said...

niiice. way to go teach'. :)

Pete said...

Wa Wa Waaaaa.