Thursday, December 27, 2007

An Empty Cavernous Place

A couple of days ago we unwrapped a pack of onesies and a pair of size 6 months pajamas. Last week I was doing some Christmas shopping when I saw a plush turtle that looked as though it belonged to my child; the one inside my wife's womb. I bought it and put it in a box with the rest of the stuff for the growing baby. It's all just sitting there waiting for the day we walk through the front door with the baby in my arms. We have a whole box of that stuff. Today we had our second ultrasound. Before we left to see the doctor I strapped my bike to the back of the car. From the doctor's office I was going to ride to Chris's house, then we were going to ride back to my house. Jenny would have dinner ready when we arrived. But first we were going to see how our baby was growing. We were going to see a heartbeat this time. We would see the little lima bean body. The technician turned the screen toward me. She started pointing the camara all around my wife's womb. She didn't say anything. She seemed to do this for a very long time. I began to get worried. I held Jenny's hand. She squeezed harder. I felt as though I had splashed into a deep lake. Sounds became muffled. "What's wrong?" I asked. "I don't see a fetus," she slowly responded. "What does that mean?" I knew damn well what it meant, but I asked anyway. She told us it meant that the womb had been growing but the baby hadn't. The cells just got together and then didn't multiply. She said it happens to nearly half of all women. She left the room. I held my wife in my arms. We had a good cry. I didn't ride bike today. Plans change. We called our parents. We had to tell them they'd never see their first grandchild on earth; in so many words. We heard them sniffle and dry tears over the phone. They're praying for us. We prayed too. We asked for some of that peace that surpasses understanding. Chris bought us dinner. God sent him over to give us some comfort. Tomorrow I'll put the box away. I'll hide it real well and hope it vanishes.

12 comments:

Zack!!! said...

my heart and prayers go out to you guys. im terribly sorry, friend.

Travis said...

Oh Mike,..... I'm so sorry. I cannot begin to sympathise, because I have no idea, but you and Jeny are at the forefront of our prayers.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry for you guys. I don't know if you had heard, but we experienced the same thing last spring. We understand the pain you're going through, and pray that God will grant you the peace that He gave to us through that time. Feel free to contact us if you ever want to talk about it.

sherry said...

I'm so, so sorry. Wishing you peace...

The Huey's said...

Hey Mike this is Brent Huey. I just read your blog and wanted to let you know that my wife and I are praying for you and Jeny. We actually just had a miscarriage on Dec 2nd. Beth was 9 weeks along. I am so very sorry to hear the news. If you would like to chat email me at bhuey21@yahoo.com.

Lauren S. said...

such a beautiful post for such a sad thing. i'm so sorry.

lord have mercy.

Pete said...

I love you guys.

Val. said...

I absolutely love this post and abhor it at the same time...

Adrian Martinez said...

i love you and i will see you soon.

you are loved by more people than you could ever count.

RobinDayle said...

I'm sososo sorry Michael.
My heart grieves with you...he is with Jesus now, and my nephew.

I'm praying for your family. Know you are loved.

Stephanie said...

Hey Mike,

Just reading up on your blog - I'm so sorry about you and Jenny's loss. It is a very hard thing to lose a child. We hurt with you.

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!