Sunday, November 18, 2007

Target Practice

Today I had an experience that reminded me of Alyosha from The Brothers Karamazov. I was riding my bike (Mr. Belvedere) up a steep hill in a sparsly populated residential area when a rock whizzed by my head and skidded along the ground. I stopped and turned around to see three boys standing about 25 yards away. The oldest couldn't have been over 11, and the other two were probably in fourth grade. I just stood there staring at the older one. Then I said, "That's not funny, kid." He just stared at me. I just stared at him. After what seemed like a long time, I started riding again. Two more rocks flew past me. I had no idea how to react, so I just kept riding.

4 comments:

TW said...

man, you and Mr. Belvedere are having some rough times. Tough situation indeed. I had a similar situation with a kid and snowball once in which I just shook my head as he was cocking to throw and he thought better of himself (of course this was when I had the "scary beard"). So start growing a beard...or maybe keep a samurai sword on you at all times for intimidation?

Lauren S. said...

he he...mr. belvedere...that's awesome

you really did have an alyosha moment. only difference for you is the kid in BK had a reason. this one was just being a little punk. glad you had some wheels to get you out of there.

Freewheel said...

Wow. Not sure how I'd handle that, either. It's interesting that the kids didn't run when you stopped and made eye contact with them.

Keith said...

I would recommend throwing back -- or pummeling the one that looks the youngest. -- kidding.