Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Great day? Bad day? Not sure.

The good news: I wasn't one of the 160 teachers in my district to be given a pink slip today. It looks like I'll have a job next year, and I feel as though I managed to dive under a moving truck without being hit.

The bad news: 160 teachers in my district are facing unemployment. Among the casualties is Jeff, an excellent English teacher with a mortgage and a pregnant wife. The only reason I'll be able to dream peacefully while he will surely endure a sleepless night is because I was hired a year earlier. I want to praise God, but I know Jeff serves the same one, so I realize I have to praise him simply because he's God, not because of my circumstances.

5 comments:

Brian Baker said...

Well-said, brother!

Adrian Martinez said...

Great attitude. Your response makes God look great and sufficient.

Zack!!! said...

you're a class-act, mike.

Michelle H.M. Ackley said...

Hi Michael! Thanks for the comment on my blog, its nice to hear from you. The blog world is quite great in how it connects everyone ~ which is perfect b/c that's why I created a blog in the first place! Anyways, glad to see you are well and how God has greatly blessed you and Jenny!
I appreciate your post - my boyfriend is a teacher as well and got his pink slip. Luckily he has a profound peace about it ~ I hope your friend does too!

sherry said...

I'm having a really hard time with it. I have a job next year, too, but we're still in this together. It seems so unjust that wonderful educators are losing their jobs while uninspired educators are quite safe.

Your blog doesn't get "read" in my reader for some reason, and it's really pissing me off. By the way.